Cerebrospinal meningitis Update
Situation Report (As at 6th April 2017): 3,959 suspected cases with 438 deaths
- As at 5th April 2017, a total of 3,959 suspected cases with 438 deaths (CFR=11.1%) have been reported from 106 LGAs
- outbreaks are currently reported in 19 States with five States mostly affected.
- Zamfara, Katsina, Kebbi and Sokoto States in the North-West zone, and Niger State in the North-Central zone account for about 95% of the cases reported
- A total of 181 positive cases confirmed by Pastorex and Culture; Neisseria meningitides serotype C being the most common serotype accounting for 83% of laboratory confirmed cases
- The most common serotype is Neisseria meningitidis serotype C (Nm C)
- The most affected age group is 5-14 years and accounts for 52% of cases
- Reactive vaccination campaign started on the 5th of April 2017 in Zamfara State with massive turnout in all the targeted communities
- A joint team of NCDC, NPHCDA and partners is supporting the reactive vaccination campaign and outbreak response in Zamfara State.
- Source: NCDC